Re: Tailgaters

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 13:07:15 EST

At 11:45 PM 2/1/00 , you wrote:
>One person suggested I flash the emergency blinkers once then stop
>them. Hasn't worked. I've tried tapping or pumping my brakes, to both
>slow down and try to give them the hint, but they never pick up on it -
>and sometimes get closer!
>
>I don't need to be trading paint. I just got my truck last March. And
>higher insurance premiums are NOT in my budget.

The best way to handle tailgaters is to simply ignore them. I know that
this is a LOT easier said that done, but it's still the best thing to do.
You are dealing with someone who is not using his brain and not acting
rationally. Odds are that nothing you do will make the situation better and
will most likely make things worse. Slamming on your brakes, while the most
emotionally satisfying (short of punching him in the nose) is the worst
thing to do. Slowing down will only make him madder and more likely to do
something stupider than tailgate. You will never be able to teach
tailgaters a "lesson" so don;t even try. Just take care of your own
business and drive YOUR truck. Don't try to drive the other guy's vehicle
as well.

Mike Crumley 97 V6 Auto
mail to: mcrumley@airmail.net

There are a number of mechanical devices that increase sexual
arousal, particularly in women. Chief among these is the
Mercedes-Benz 380SL convertible.