Drive shafts. Very weird.

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 11:42:40 EST

Well, since I work at valvoline, I get to see a lot of cool stuff under cars
and trucks.
I noticed that the chevy/GMC full size trucks have a 4.5" diameter alum
driveshaft. That striked me as odd at first, but then a couple days goes by
and I see a 2000 dakota v6 pull in. it's a automatic and I look at the
driveshaft. Aluminium...

What's with the new alum. driveshafts? How much would an alum weigh
compared to a cast iron or whatever I have in my 97?

Brings me to another interesting point. Should I upgrade to an alum.
driveshaft? Due to it's lighter weigh, I'm guessing that could free up some
horsepower. What do you guys think? will a 2000 driveshaft from a v6 dakota
bolt up with mine?
-Dester