Re: Drive shafts. Very weird.

From: Cale Henry Bargen (vencomatic@ameritech.net)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 12:01:59 EST

Hey Dester,

Do you have a steel 2-PIECE driveshaft, with a CV boot type thing at the
joint? If so, lookout! The boot has been known to grenade at speeds
over 90 mph, and the one piece, NASCAR approved aluminum shaft is DC's
fix. Anybody's head hurt yet? Here we go...

The aluminum shaft may not provide any gain over the steel one - it's
all about second moment or inertia, or how much energy it takes to "spin
up" something. A shaft with a larger OD will take more energy to spin
up to a certain RPM than a smaller one, given they are the same material
and wall thickness. The larger shaft, if made of a light enough
material may have an second moment equal to the smaller shaft of heavier
material.

So what I'm saying is that the larger diameter aluminum log may not free
up horsies compared to the smaller diameter steel unit.

Yah?
Cale
98cc318sporty