Re: 95 Dying

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 20:13:47 EST

> I have a 95 Dakota Sport Club Cab with a 5.2. It has started dying at
idle.
> First looked for vacuum leaks and found nothing. Replaced EGR, no effect.
> Replaced oxygen sensor, no effect. Checked fuel pressure and it runs at
> about 40 psi which is well in the specs of 35-45. The dying seems to
occur
> only at low speed or idle. Sometimes it runs fine, other times it dies
> whenever it goes to idle. I did notice with the fuel pressure gauge on it
> that when I revved the engine it was steady as could be, but when I let
off
> to go to idle, it bounced considerably. I have run several tanks through
> with injector cleaner in it, but still no change.

First, try pulling to fault codes to see what has been stored in the
computer. If you are unfamiliar about this process, check out:
http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/CODES/codes.html

Second this to try if the fault codes do not help you out is to take your
throttle body off and fully clean it. Also clean or even replace the tip of
the AIS(automatic idle) Sensor, which should be located on the back on your
throttle body held in by two torx screws; a new AIS Sensor/Motor runs about
$35-$40. Also take a look at your TPS(throttle position) Sensor which should
be on the driver's side on your throttle body. You can get sensor testers,
but if nothing is stored in the computer as fault codes are concerned, I
would just try a good thourough throttle body/sensor cleaning with a good
throttle body cleaner. Good Luck, let us know how things work out for you
and the Dak.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6