Re: Aluminum Magnum heads!!!!!!!!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 19:01:41 EST

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Jon Smith wrote:
> > That is the part number... SWEET!!!!! no price yet, I just hope it is
> > reasonable...
>
> ummmmmm..... don't hold your breath ;-) might wanna polish yer pennies up
> for them heads

   Jon is right, unfortunately for us. :-) The new aluminum heads
definitely are real, and definitely are really expensive. I don't have
the exact price handy, but they're about $1,000 each, for the bare head.
They don't include any hardware with 'em. Compare that to about $900 for
the ported iron heads, which is still a rip off, but at least include
the hardware.

    I have it on excellent authority that the prototypes for these heads
were done by Edelbrock, for MP. They are supposed to flow about the same
as a set of ported iron heads. Custom pistons to complement the aluminum
head's combustion chamber are in the works. These heads are not smog legal,
and if you use them, you will need to raise your combustion ratio about a
point in order to maintain the same power.

  I got the above info from a DMLer when the aluminum heads topic came
up a little while ago. This person responded directly to me instead of
the list as a whole, so I decided not to divulge their name as I'm not
sure wether that's an issue or not.

   Based on this info and the usual high MP price tag, IMHO, you'd be
better off just sending a set of stock heads to Kammer & Kammer or
Hughes Engines. For a third of the cost, you can have a set of heads
that flow better than these and also keep your stock combustion ratio.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'