Re: Digital Camera

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 09:41:41 EST

Hey, hope I'm not too late in responding here, I've been too busy to check
e-mail last coupla days......

We have a Sony Mavica FD8? camera at work that we got last fall. We did a
group purchase for several field offices, and the best price we got was just
over $800. Our purchasing office wanted these cameras, even though I
suggested the Kodak DC260 and the Olympus 340D?. We got the Sony cameras,
and somebody on the list sent me a pic from their DC260 shortly thereafter.
The Kodak kicked ass on the Sony as far as picture quality, and was about
$400-$500 less. The Sony will only hold 4-6 high-quality pics on a disk,
and it takes a minute to download those pics onto a computer (reading off
the floppy), so you won't really see any time savings there. The main
advantage the Sony has is if you're in the middle of BFE and run out of
flash cards, you can usually find 3.5" disks around somewhere, so you always
have cheap backup 'film'. Still not worth it in most cases, IMHO.

Check out CNET.COM and do a little research - you'll be surprised what you
find. The Olympus 340D? (whatever model number) is probably the best deal
for very high-res pix for under $300. CNET also has a up-to-date price
check among several dozen online vendors.