RE: Mopar fuel tank skid plate 97-99 - Kinda Long

From: David's Dakota (dakota@ivyleague.net)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 18:42:15 EST

>> I have a quick question to anyone who has installed the Mopar fuel tank
>>
>> Randall Chase
>> 99 Sport Club Cab 4x4

Ahh...skid plates...I went thru this on my 98 RC.

Step 1: Go to dealer sales dept and ask about skid plates...they say "Why
you need skid plates?" I say "So I can hit rocks and not hurt anything."
they say "Go to parts counter and tell Ray-Paul you need the skip plate
package"

Step 2: Go to parts counter and Ray-Paul says "Sales is full of sh**, there
is no skip plate package you have to order them individual". I say "Ok, do
it and let me know when they are in."

Step 3: Get call from parts and go to pickup skid plates...there are only
two ( front diff and gas tank )...ask Ray-Paul about transfer case...he can
not find anything and says he will research it and get back to me.

Step 4-6: Call parts to bother them once a day.

Step 7: Go to get the transfer case skid plate.

Step 8: Crawl under truck only to realize that the parts kind really f**ked
everything up...he did not get you the back bracket assembly or special
"slip on nuts" that you need for the front diff plate...did not get you the
"slip on nuts" for the transfer case...and how the heck are you suppose to
hook the gas tank plate on?

Step 9: Go back to service and he says "Oh, did not think about the "slip on
nuts" I will count how many you need and get them and the bracket assembly
on order for you.

Step 10-12: Call service once a day checking on your parts.

Step 13: Get parts and crawl back under truck to find that the parts guy got
you the wrong bracket or something.

Step 14: Go back to parts only to have him say "Oh, I guess you need these
two triangle shaped brackets also." I will order them and get back to you.

Step 15-17: Call service once a day checking on your parts.

Step 18: Go get the rest of your brackets and crawl back under your truck
only to find out that the parts guy got you about half as many "slip on
nuts" as are required...and that they do not come with bolts.

Step 19: Count how many "slip on nuts" you need and tell parts guy how many
more you need.

Step 20-22: Call service once a day checking on your parts.

Step 23: Go to Napa and get necessary quantity of bolts, flat washers and
lock washers.

Step 24: Go to parts guy and get rest of "slip on nuts"

Step 25: Crawl under truck and put all these pieces that have been
accumulating in your back room for the last few weeks on to the bottom of
your truck.

Step 26: Go out on the trail and beat the crap out of the skid plates that
you spent over $300 ( american ) to get.

Randall,

Drop me an email and I will be happy to share my skid plate experiences with
you in more detail.

David Martin
98 SC 5.2l 4x4

My trucks email: