Autocrossing the R/T

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 19:46:50 EST

With our 86 SVO down with clutch problems, and the 95 SS export pipes
installed, we decided to take our 98 R/T to the Houston SCCA autocross
today. It was clear, but in the 60's (cold for us here in Texas). The
course was pretty fast. We were running in one of the new Street Touring
classes the the local club has devised for all the street scene cars who
have spent all their money on graphics and have nothing left for
autocross tires (g).

It was an interesting change of pace going from a 210+ HP turbocharged,
intercooled, standard-transmission pony car on Kuhmos to the 260 HP V8
auto truck on street tires. Not as forgiving, but it was really cool to
instantaneously make the truck go from a severe trailing-brake understeer
(like it is NOT going to make the corner) to
bring-the-rear-end-around-and-get-in-line-for-the-next-gate with a blip
of the throttle. It is interesting to note that if you get the truck
stopping in a straight line, get the ABS working for you, you can really
haul that thing down. It doesn't work as well if you jump on the brakes
in a turn, though. I went striaght through one wall of cones with the
fronts locked up on one run. It was my fastest run of the day. It is a
shame I had a 2-second penalty tacked onto that run. Oh well, better
luck next time.

We had a lot of interest in our little truck. Several wanted to take
rides. Others just asked "So, what's it like driving a truck here?"
They could have asked the other truck drivers at the event. There were
other truck drivers at the event, by the way. 4 of them. There were two
Lightnings of various vintage, and one blown SVT. There also was a
regular in his 98 or 99 V6 F150. He beat the Lightnings and SVT!! And
both my wife AND I beat the V6 in our Dak!! Not sure how we placed in
class, we had to go home and get another car started. I am certain we
both placed high in class, in a class that includes the V8 F-bodys! Go
Dodge!!

Although we don't like sand-blasting the quarter panels, it IS a fun
truck to autocross, even without the Hotchkis parts we want to get.

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T
Houston, Texas