98 4X4 Problems

From: Drew Schofield (droopie@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 21:51:20 EST

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 18:13:37 -0500
From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Subject: Re: DML: 98 4X4 Problems

At 52K adjusting the bands wouldn't hurt but with the problem going away
after
warm-up that's probably not the problem... How cold are we talking anyway?
I'd also solve the "slip-shifting" first before I started putting a kit in.
For me, the more I keep throwing mods at a problem the more difficult it is
find the root cause.
Good luck.
===

It only became once the weather got really cool here...below 45. After
about 3 or 4 miles it's ok even on the 20 degree days...once the heater is
blowing hot, it generally won't do it. I played with the TV cable today.
The service manual I have for rams, basically says that if you disconnect
the cable it should be within 1/32" of the mount it goes on, on the TB. I
adjusted it to there and noticed some slipping. If I move it forward at
all, it shifts into 2, then 3 at 15 mph and won't downshift. Put it at
specs and there is only about 3/32" more travel to the rear. Moving the
cable to the rear is supposed to firm and delay shifts...and I've seen where
other people have said that close to 1/4" back gave them really good
shifts....I don't have near that much travel on my TV cable. I think I will
adjust the bands and the pump pressure and see what happens then. It seems
as tho it has low pump pressure.
Drew Schofield
droopie@midsouth.rr.com
www.angelfire.com/tn/page4drew