Re: OK Gunna get true Duals, but what size?

From: Clay Cooke (cooke@ecn.purdue.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 22:58:49 EST

A good friend of mine is a Tech at the local Dodge dealership and has a
95? or 96 dodge ram, with the 5.9L magnum in it. He ran true duals at the
shop on his and told me how to do the same.

The first O2 sensor of the pair is the only real working (kinda) O2 sensor
on the truck. It is the O2 sensor that sets the fuel curve at WOT, etc
etc... so it is the one that matters. He said just to put it in one of the
pipes for the true duals, preferable the one on the passenger side as it
is the closest to the collector and will be the best choice. The 2nd O2
sensor is what he calls a "check O2 sensor" it is just there to make sure
the emissions equipment (in this case the Cat) is doing its job. It plays
NO role in adjusting the air/fuel mixture at all. The only thing is needs
to read so it doesnt trip a code is more O2 than the 1st sensor does. So
what do you do with it???? just tie it up and out of the way. (I dont know
if its heated, but I doubt it. he said nothing about it being heated)

as for pipe size, for a 318 I would say 2.25" would be good (true duals),
and 2.5 would be great for a 360...

Clay

84 Dodge Ram, scrappin pavement w/ 440 8bbl
96 Indy Ram, scrappin EVERYTHING w/ 360 Magnum!' -(www.indyram.org)
69 Road Runner 440 6bbl, project car

http://expert.cc.purdue.edu/~cooke