Re: What is pinging???

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 15:20:37 EST

Oops...almost forgot...The simple answer (without getting technical) for
pinging is this:

The Air/Fuel mixture is igniting too soon and causing the pistons, rods,
and crank to violently shake causing the "pinging" sound. This can be
caused by one or a combination of the following:

(1) Poor Quality - Low octane fuel
(2) High Compression
(3) Excessive Carbon Deposits in the Combustion Chamber
(4) Engine Temperature a little bit too hot
(5) Arcing Plug Wires (or a bad Cap & Rotor)
(6) Timing is advanced too much

- Bernd