Re: 5 spd w/ cruise control question

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 18:51:00 EST

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Todd Abernathy wrote:

> Okay, I'm coming down to the wire on ordering my Dakota and have a
> question. I'm getting the 5 spd, for control, economy and mostly I don't
> want to pay extra for the auto tranny, but I'm also wanting cruise
> control for long trips and fuel economy. I've been told I can get the 5
> spd w/ cruise and a salesman said the cruise on the 5 spd just adjust the
> gas flow. Is this right ? Any one have a 5 spd with cruise ? In
> advance I appreciate any feed back.

     What the sales guy probably meant was that cruise control with
a stick will only work within a particular gear. That is, if you have
cruise and an auto, if you come up to a hill, the computer will "give it
some gas" and downshift, if nescessary. With a stick, obviously the
computer can't shift, so it'll just give it some gas and stay in that
gear. (If the engine starts to lug, it may turn off the cruise, but
I'm not sure.)

   This isn't really a huge concern most of the time though. If
you're on the freeway or something, you just shift through the gears,
put it in 5th, set the cruise, and relax.

   I have cruise on my '96 Dak with a 5 speed, and I had cruise on my
last car which was also a 5 speed manual. Its a nice feature to have.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'