MPG 4.7L 3.55 vs. 3.92?

From: Gary Manning (gmanning@qualcomm.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 21:31:24 EST

I am wondering what the real world difference would be between the 3.55
and 3.92 ratios with the 4.7/auto FT 4wd Quad with mostly freeway
commuting? I had planned on the 3.55, but I read today that the it drops
the tow rating to less than 5000 lbs. Is this rating derived from a
perceived performance standard, or driveline mechanical stress?

My current towing needs are well under 5000 lbs. but I would like to keep
my options open for the future, provided the economy hit is not too bad.
On the other hand, if the 3.55 will still tow well, but a little less
performance, that may be an acceptable trade off for better gas mileage.

Gary