Re: MPG 4.7L 3.55 vs. 3.92?

From: SS454454@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 00:25:19 EST

gmanning@qualcomm.com writes:

<< I am wondering what the real world difference would be between the 3.55
 and 3.92 ratios with the 4.7/auto FT 4wd Quad with mostly freeway
 commuting? I had planned on the 3.55, but I read today that the it drops
 the tow rating to less than 5000 lbs. Is this rating derived from a
 perceived performance standard, or driveline mechanical stress?

 My current towing needs are well under 5000 lbs. but I would like to keep
 my options open for the future, provided the economy hit is not too bad.
 On the other hand, if the 3.55 will still tow well, but a little less
 performance, that may be an acceptable trade off for better gas mileage.

 Gary

My dakota is a 4.7 auto 4x4 with 3.55 to tell you the truth there is little
difference between the 3.55s and the 3.90s. i still dont understand why they
went to such a close 9 numerically) gear ratio. I cAN SEE GOING FROM A 3.08
TO A 3.90 BUT NOT A 3.55 TO A 3.90. THE DIFFERENCE IS MINIMAL. Ahh stupid
caps button ( sorry folks). Anyway the difference is minimal. you can run
bigger tires with either gear ratio up to a 33 inch. anything over that you
should regear.
Youll be fine with 3.55. personally i wouldnt tow anything that runs at 6500
pounds which is the tow rating on my dakota. the gearing isnt as much of a
factor as the actual dirvetrain. My chevy with 3.08s was rated at 6500
pounds. Youll be all right with 3.55s
Rob