RE: electric sg'er ATTN: bernd

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 00:10:28 EST

At 07:38 PM 2/7/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Ok...one more time:
>
>Headers = $300 (5-15HP improvement)
>Modified TB = $300 (5-15HP improvement)
>eRam = $300 (5-15HP improvement)
>
>And th epoint here is???
>
>- Bernd

Sure you could spend $300 for little gain. Where are the dyno results for
the 5-15 HP for the headers, and another 5-15 for a TB? Maybe both the
headers and TB would get you 10 HP, but not 30 for both. Prove me wrong
with dyno results. Most people, from what I've read, have already spent
the dough on the TB and headers, and K&N. So instead of dumping $300 on a
little gain, why not spend it where you get more gain from the stuff you
already have bought? If you have a TB, you got a bigger pipe for more air
in, got headers, more flow out.

Where your best bang for the buck is at is the bottleneck between the TB
and the headers. A properly selected cam change would get you a minimum of
around 25 HP. That costs right at or less than $300 for a cam kit. As
long as you don't go too wild where you have to re-program the computer or
change rear end gears or converter stall to compensate for the power band
shift, or have to change injectors, you will get more out of the little you
put in.

I just feel force feeding a stock motor is wasting time. Sure you get a
little more power, but you got to see the bigger picture. I can see the
eRAM being used on a motor that has a larger TB, hotter than stock cam, and
headers and free flow exhaust. If the cam is selected properly, I wouldn't
be surprised if you gained 50-60 HP. Next would be fuel system and
injectors. Then hotter ignition, and some porting and polishing work on
the intake and heads. Then a programmable computer. Then is goes up from
there. Going to an even hotter cam would get you more benefits, by then
you will have bought all the necessary support hardware to take advantage
of the even hotter cam.

That's just the way I feel. That's my opinion. If your goal is to make
more power, do it. Don't do like the ricerz do, them coffee can fart pipes
add at least 5 HP :)

Mike

mschwall@flash.net