Idling Search on the 2000 4.7

From: Slakies (Slakie@erols.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 20:09:35 EST

I posted something on this yesterday. Below are copies of some entries from
a Dakota II thread on the Edmonds Pickup Conference. So far I've heard from
2 people who have this problem are there any more?

#339 of 400: Something may be goofy (bpeebles) Wed 19 Jan '00 (05:43 PM)
(bkteach) I have the very same 'problem'... the idle speed 'hunts' while the
vehicle is moving but will 'lock' into a normal idle as soon as the
ground-speed is 0.0MPH (Clutch disengaged entire time) I have even lodged a
'complaint' with my dealer (They found nothing wrong!) and have experimented
with it myself. I have found that if I disengage the clutch and 'coast' down
a long (1 or 2 miles @ 40-50 MPH) hill, the Idle speed will eventually
settle-in to around 1K RPM. (BTW that equates to ~40MPH in 5th gear)I have
also scrutinized the shop manual for possible explanations. According to the
book we have the following; 1)The electronic idle control is constantly
'learning' how to idle.(This compensates for weather and road conditions)
2)There is no 'clutch depressed' signal to the computer.(This is the VERY
FIRST TIME this engine has ever been available with a manual xmission) 3)The
ground-speed signal DOES go to the computer. My theory is this...The
computer 'learns' how to idle while decelerating with the clutch engaged.
(AND ground speed >0.0 MPH) When we present very different conditions to
the computer by depressing the clutch while coasting. The computer is
'confused' for a while because it did not have to open the throttle at all
when the clutch was engaged. Thus... the idle speed drops very low (lights
dim) and then shoots up... over and over until the learning process catches
up again. If it were my design... I would add a 'clutch depressed' signal
to the engine computer, this would add a very important variable to the
decision-making process within the computer.

#340 of 400: One More Thing (bpeebles) Wed 19 Jan '00 (05:54 PM) I forgot to
mention that I have had the engine stall a few times due to this 'problem'.
It always has happened during slow maneuvering when the clutch is being
engaged/dis-engauged. (Such as moving up in traffic a few car-lengths or
backing into a tight spot. I have even had it stall coming off of the
interstate while slowing to a stop at the end of the off-ramp. At first I
thought I was the problem by way of my 'clutching' but I am now convinced
otherwise. As soon as the vehicle is moving and I push the clutch... the
idle drops very low for a moment and if I happen to be 'feathering' the
clutch... It stalls due to lack of torque at that very low idle speed. I
have changed my driving-habits due to this problem' and now tend to rev the
engine much more than I would like during slow maneuvers. (Before anyone
asks...I have been using a clutch for over 20 years and NEVER had to do this
before.)

44 of 400: bpeebles (engine fluctuation) (bkteach) Thu 20 Jan '00 (08:17 AM)
Thanks for the response. What your saying makes a lot of sense. One thing
that I forgot to mention is that it doesn't seem to have this "hunting"
problem when it is cold. This may be due to the fact that the choke is
partially closed until the engine is warmed up a bit. I have to say that
this puts my mind at rest knowing that someone else has experienced the same
thing. Let's hope this cures itself after a few thousand miles.

Regards, Bk