Re: Mopar Magnum M1 intake Manifold...and other mods(long)advice please!!!!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 01:03:30 EST

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 Bluethunder318@aol.com wrote:

> Has anyone seen the new Summit catalog? They have the
> M1 aluminum intake manifold for magnums.=$259.00 What will I need besides
> gaskets to install this? Any fabrication? I plan on doing a bunch of mods
> all at once.
[...]
> Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

   I dunno about the other stuff, but the intake I can definitely help
you with... Make sure its the fuel injected version, known as the MPI as
opposed to the plain ol' M1. The MPI has the injector bosses and comes
with an adaptor so you can mount your throttle body on it. The M1 is
meant for carbeurated motors. (like the 300 and 380 crate motors) I
got my MPI from Koller Dodge for about $220, after shipping.

   How much extra stuff you'll need to install and fabricate depends on
the year of your engine, and wether or not you have air conditioning.
The high points are: you'll need a vacuum tree of some type, '92-95
motors need an EGR blockoff plate, '92-96 motors with air conditioning
need to relocate an ECT sensor, if you have A/C, you'll need to grind
off a corner of the compressor, all engines need to relocate their
IAT sensor, and all engines need a new thermostat and thermostat housing.
There are also some misc pieces of hardware like bolts and spacers and
such which you will need to buy and/or fabricate.

I don't mean to sound like an annoying salesman or something, :-) but if
you're interested, I'm putting together a series of MPI install kits,
which will include all of the extra pieces that Mopar probably should have
included with the MPI, but didn't. I'm not sure what the price will be
yet, but I'm just about finished with 'em. I just have some finishing
touches to put on the install guide and also figure out what I've got
to charge for 'em to stay in the black. :-) Although the install guide
assumes you're using one of my kits, I plan to put it up on the DML
upgrades and mods section, as there is a lot of info in there which
is applicable wether or not you're using my kit.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'