Re: RE: Timing Adjustable??

From: V8dakLECC@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 13:34:58 EST

I've given this a little thought.

The ignition/fuel injection timing is based on a hall effect sensor looking
at notches on the flywheel/torque converter and a camshaft sensor to read #1
TDC. The crank sensor can be found poking through the top passenger side of
the bell housing on the autos. Moving this sensor a few degrees around the
flywheel would change the ignition/fuel injection timing. Example: look at a
photo of a hall effect ignititon ad in a Jegs catalog, you will see a curved
slotted bracket that allows adjustment of the sensor location for a
particular application.

There are some problems with this, first, the hole for the sensor is cast
into the bell housing, and the sensor could not be moved without machine
work. Second, moving the sensor would affect both processes, fuel and
ignition, and I don't know what the effect would be.

I'm not gonna try this on my truck, but it's just a thought.

Richard Lewis
92 LE CC, 318, Auto