Re: RE: Timing Adjustable??

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 14:14:34 EST

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 V8dakLECC@aol.com wrote:

> I've given this a little thought.
>
> The ignition/fuel injection timing is based on a hall effect sensor looking
> at notches on the flywheel/torque converter and a camshaft sensor to read #1
> TDC. The crank sensor can be found poking through the top passenger side of
> the bell housing on the autos. Moving this sensor a few degrees around the
> flywheel would change the ignition/fuel injection timing. Example: look at a
> photo of a hall effect ignititon ad in a Jegs catalog, you will see a curved
> slotted bracket that allows adjustment of the sensor location for a
> particular application.
>
> There are some problems with this, first, the hole for the sensor is cast
> into the bell housing, and the sensor could not be moved without machine
> work. Second, moving the sensor would affect both processes, fuel and
> ignition, and I don't know what the effect would be.

  Hmmm... Well, for what its worth, from what I've heard, rotating the
distributor changes the injector timing, so maybe it could be done if
you could figure out the relationship between them. (Rotate the crank
sensor to advance ignition timing, which would also mess up the injector
timing, then rotate the distributor to put the injector timing back in
sync?) I'm not going to try it on my truck either. ;-)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'