Re: Obnoxious Squeaking and Suspension "Trick"

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:50:28 EST

> Well, the truck hit 39,000 miles the other day and behold...a very loud,
> obnoxious squeaking noise from the front end. After a checking (and
double
> checking) everything I finally found it. Front ball joints were bone dry
> (thanks Ted). I called up the local dodge dealer and they couldn't take
me
> for another week, so I did something that DC should have done in the first
> place. Drilled and Tapped the lower ball joints to fit some zerk
fittings.
> Luckily, they weren't loose (or "knocking" in their sockets) so the grease
> job fixed the squeaking for now. (Still going to have them replaced
> though.)

I just think that is extremely odd that DC would use 'sealed' ball joints on
the newer Daks, just doesnt make sense to me. You just mentioned the lower
ball joints, but are you wanting to replace both uppers and lowers? I also
was not aware both the upper and lower ball joints were 'sealed'. Are the
ball joints under warranty Bernd? If not, any idea how much it is going to
cost? I actually just checked my Dak's ball joints and tie rod ends for
slop/play yesterday and they still are tight at 118,000 miles. I guess they
just dont make em like they used to :) Good Luck,
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6