Re: Rear axle/Service Annoyance!

From: Ohm347@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 22:01:28 EST

In a message dated 02/10/2000 8:56:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com writes:

<< The truck started making a loud whirring sound (like when
 you're driving on grooved pavement) all the time. Well,
 after waiting a day to have it diagnosed, turned out "a
 rear axle bearing spun in its housing." That's all the
 info I could get out of the writer and I never got a chance
 to talk to the mechanic. So anyway, after waiting a week
 for an entire new rear axle, I dropped the truck off again.
  After two days, it was finally done and I picked it up
 yesterday. Well, first thing I notice is that the axle is
 bare metal--no paint at all. The next is that they used
 bright frigg'n orange sealant to put the pumpkin cap on and
 it was done very sloppily. Here's my questions for the
 DML:

my truck did exactly the same thing. couldn't get any info from the service
manager as to how or why this happened. they replaced the entire guts of my
rear end.
derek