Re[2]: synthetic oil help

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 15:05:10 EST

Yeah... I forgot that I was pissed at Bernd for not including Castrol Syntec
in his list of synth's. :-) Thanks for reminding me Frank! ;-)

I probably read the same stuff you did and switched from Mobil 1 to Syntec.
Who knows/who cares which is truly better... Just about any synth. out there
is so superior to any dyno. oil that I doubt you can truly go wrong.
***Please, I have no intention of starting the age old debate and I admit, with
regular maintenance, dyno oil is just fine.***

I think the only real thing to keep in mind is not to mix oil brands... I'm
told that the "additive packages" can be cannibalistic when mixed with another
brand. So the story goes, some additives in brand X view stuff in brand Y as
"little nasties" and start this chemical warfare in your engine thus depleting
the additives (which are basically good) and degrading the quality of the oil.
Clearly this is an incredibly simplistic explanation (and, I hope, somewhat
humorous) but I'm sure others can provide a much more technical discussion if
necessary.
Tom