Re: RE: lowering shackles for rear

From: mike d. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 17:59:23 EST

>>>1. Are shackles that hard to do (I live on a farm, so
access to tools of all sorts is not a problem)? <<<<

not really. You need access to an air chisel or cutting torch to remove
the factory shackles and/or hangers. It'll be much easier if you take the
bed off. If you do the hangers too, the gas tank will be hard to work
around but it'll be manageable...

>>>2. How much and where is the best place to get them? <<<

I don't know how much just the shackles are, as I got mine as part of a
kit. Western Chassis makes a nice set. Call Sport Truck direct, you won't
beat their prices on WC stuff.

>>>3. Do you have to use shims with shackles?<<<

yeah... you'll have to use shims no matter how you drop it... Sport Truck
direct carries those too

>>>4. Can you do just shackles for 3", or do you have to do hangers as
well?<<<<

The cool thing about the Western Chassis components is that the Spring
Hangers are adjustable. You can do the shackles for just 2", or just the
Hangers for 1-2". Both will net you 3" or 3.5" or 4" adjustable. That's
what I would go with just because of ride quality and because you can
always go lower at that point.
just something to think about =)

-mike d.

---> Yorktown, Va.
88 Dakota LE: slammed, painted, and PARKED =(

miggitymike@juno.com
http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf/index.html

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.