Is it really cold air? or just hype?

From: Antonio De Anda (adeanda@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 05:49:42 EST

Hi everyone,
I know most people just think of me as the guy that makes intakes and TBs.
Well, hello.....I have a 5.9 Durango that will run with some of the best of
them, Dak or Durango.
I made the kit to get better performance, and I didnt want to wait for K&N to
come out with their kit. I had mine 8 mos before they released theirs. I made
a cold air box.......didnt work. I made a shield to block fan
wash..........didnt help. The only time under hood heat is an issue is when
the truck is stopped. Hot air rises, the heat will rise and be pushed to the
upper rear of the engine compartment......at least last time I checked. I am a
business major.....but pretty sure about that one. Thats why the round flat
filter on top of the engine dynos better than a cone, but when the hood closes
and the heat pools up there, it plateaus out.
So what ever material people make their intake out of is going to get hot when
the D is stopped. I have burned my hand on several GenII kits, and they are
supposed to be using the high tech plastic. Now the Intense coffee can comes
in ceramic coating........like it will help. My headers are ceramic
coated........and they damn hot. It takes a second to get them hot......wont
an alumized pipe that is sprayed with coating that sits a few inches away also
get just as hot. When the truck is moving........there is so much air rushing
in, that it cools the pipe down. The filter sits infront and to the side of
the heat source........If you remove that rubber flap next to the radiator on
the passenger side.......You can see the filter from the front. How much
better than that can it get.
 My concern for the people that will believe his kit is actually cold
air.....it might be cooler, but its less air. Alot of you already have my
products, and some have met or talked to me over the phone. I dont try to put
a kit on everyones truck. I often suggest to people to do the exhaust
first.....and then drop me a line when they are ready. If people want to make
a kit for themselves......Power to them. I made my first kit out of black
sewer pipe. I just didnt feel right putting a sewer pipe on a $34,000 truck.
I have seen all the cool home made kits out there.....and I have helped some
people with parts to make them.
I know not everyone will want my kit......Thats cool. Any D is a great D, no
matter what it has on it.......as long as the owner enjoys it. But for the
people that dont want to make their own kit for what ever reason.......I am
there. I try to offer a quality product at a reasonable price, that not only
performs like it should but looks good also. Its all about bang for the buck.
And for offroaders, there is the issue of water getting into the cannister. My
open cone filter can get wet(splashed or sprayed) and it will still flow. Its
oiled, so it will still breathe. But if the cannister fills up, it will be
imersed and your done. I can see some peoples valid point about how the
cannister will keep the cone cleaner.........but for those people, K&N offers a
$20 sleeve that slips over the cone. When you go offroading, and it gets all
gunky......take if off, rinse it, and your filter is still perfect.
 I have tons of Quick D daks out there, they would have slammed me if they had
not experienced the gains I advertise. My #s, came from you guys. I didnt make
them up using some theories, or a computer program with endless variables.
They are #s given to me by dak guys that have put the parts on, and either run
at the track or on the dyno.
What ever kit people put on their trucks is fine by me......I just get
frustrated when people that havent shown any actual results start saying one
thing is better than another. Isnt R&D gone?
if he wants to make a kit.......thats fine......but he should stop saying its
an upgrade for mine.....unless he is willing to show actual gains in either
performance or mileage over mine. If he cant, then its just a waste of money.
Put my less expensive kit on that performs, or build your own. I think its a
much better choice to save the extra money and use it for other toys like a TB
or exhaust or the PCM.
Just my thoughts.....sorry for being so long winded.......its just all that
airflow I guess.
Take care and stay safe.......but always be a Quick D!
Tony