Re: Speed Density to MAF

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 19:02:47 EST

Patrick Delgado wrote:

> A speed density system has less restriction(and more hp potential)
> than a MAF system.

I agree. A MAF will only take you so far. Its a cheap way to do EFI. Just look
at all the ricers that use and have used them for so long. BTW, MAF-based EFI
systems date back (believe-it-or-not) to at least the early 1900s. MAP systems
are fairly new - a better "mouse-trap"??

> The MAF system has more latitude in "correcting"
> for mods.

I agree - but only allows mods until you reach its limits. The actual MAF sensor
usually is the limiter - ever notice all the MAF upgrades to Mustwanks? OK so I
just buy a big mother of a MAF right? With that much range available - you wont
be idling around town and light-to-light too well because there will only be a few
"steps" of resolution in the low rpms. Read: wouldn't make for a very streetable
vehicle around town - but could kick some booty at the drags maybe.

> The best of both worlds would thus be a speed density system
> that's easily adjustable.

Bingo - thats exactly what the aftermarket will sell you - my recommendation for
sure!

> There is no MAF conversion for our
> engines(nor is any probable). The best you could get at this time is
> custom programming to suit the mods you have.

I disagree big time here. It is true - as we all have seen - that custom
programming can better suit the mods you have...BUT its so dang costly! (and
legal? I dunno bout that) $400-$600 every time I decide to mod my truck??? No
Way! Just buy an aftermarket system ($400 on up if you shop Ebay and the swaps)
and make the changes yourself everytime you mod it. If you really want the cats
arse - look into FP-performance's SEFI8LO system from the Fel-Pro people. That
system is truly awesome (read: costly 8-)

> Dr. Pat
> BTW, the next step will be real time analysis and engine controls
> based on the exhaust(not intake). O2 Sensors that are fast/accurate
> enough already exist but are $$.

You can do all that right now using your stock setup and KNOW where you are within
your existing system (there I go letting the cat sneak out again). It is correct
that some EGT test equipment and Wide-Range O2 sensors are relatively
expensive...BUT you can go a long way with a $15 one-wire O2 sensor and a $39
air/fuel meter. EGT probes can also be cheap if you look at industrial suppliers
and do all the analysis on your own. You have to want it real bad 8-)

And Patrick, I largely agree with you - I'm just putting all this out there for
the benefit of the masses.

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam w/lots of mods (mine)
'96 IndyRam w/lots of options (wifes) - also a numbered (#142) "Track Truck"