Re: Speed Density to MAF

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 21:09:41 EST

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Shane Moseley wrote:
[...]
> > There is no MAF conversion for our
> > engines(nor is any probable). The best you could get at this time is
> > custom programming to suit the mods you have.
>
> I disagree big time here. It is true - as we all have seen - that custom
> programming can better suit the mods you have...BUT its so dang costly! (and
> legal? I dunno bout that) $400-$600 every time I decide to mod my truck??? No
> Way! Just buy an aftermarket system ($400 on up if you shop Ebay and the swaps)
> and make the changes yourself everytime you mod it. If you really want the cats
> arse - look into FP-performance's SEFI8LO system from the Fel-Pro people. That
> system is truly awesome (read: costly 8-)

   Shane,

  Do you have any info about the SEFI8LO? I first heard about it in a
magazine that someone (Peterson?) did about fuel injection, and I knew
immediatly that its exactly what I've been looking for.

   Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out exactly what is
going on with it. It seems like it was developed by a couple of people,
and then was bought by Fel-pro? But the last time I checked, the demo
program on their web site still listed the old company's name???? I've
been a bit wary of it for that reason. I want to be sure I can get
support and such. Probably the biggest reason I like the SEFI8LO is
the fact that it can use a wide range O2 sensor to run at closed loop
100% of the time. I love that you can just plug in a target A/F ratio
and the computer will do all the work for you. Although I do plan
to plug in some sane static values, that feature alone will probably
save me a load of cash since I don't need to tune on a dyno. For my
personal situation, if a system can't do closed loop at all throttle
positions, I'm not interested, because I won't be able to afford the
dyno time. I want something I can tune at home, by myself.

   I have heard rumors that Accel has come out with a system in their
DFI line that will do 100% closed loop also, but I haven't been able to
dig up any solid info yet.

   By the way, the wide range O2 sensors are pretty expensive in general,
but back when I was researching the SEFI8LO, the general consensus was
that it used a sensor from one of the Honda VTEC motors, which was set
up with a wide range ("lean burn") O2 sensor. Since that sensor was
mass produced, it can be had for $130 or so. Still expensive, but
a bargain when you compare it to $600-$800.

  I *will* be using an aftermarket EFI system on my Dak; the only
question is when will I be able to save up enough money? :-)
(I'm hoping to keep the total cost below $2K. If I can do it for
$1K, I'd be ecstatic.)

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'