Re: Speed Density to MAF

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 22:50:09 EST

Jon Steiger wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 ABeerCan@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Ok, since the Dakota's run a speed density system, wouldn't I be correct in
> > saying that all the head work, intake work, and other work helps, but cannot
> > reach its full potential? I know that they have done this to the mid 80's
> > mustangs (the 5.slows), so is there a conversion kit that would allow one to
> > convert the Dakota from speed density to MAF? Speed density relies on a
> > preset factory value based on air temp, tps reading, etc... MAF actually
> > measures the amount of air entering the intake. So theorectically, I think,
> > wouldn't all the intake/exhuast mods perform better if the Dak-a-do were
> > converted to a MAF system? Just something I thought I would bounce off the
> > abstract wall.
>
> While its true that doing mods with a speed density system won't
> allow you to reach the engine's full potential,

I'm not so sure about this - read my next post and I'll explain. BTW, this is
what I was alluding to earlier...

> the same can be said of
> a MAF system. The "problem" in both systems is the computer. Without
> the ability to directly muck about in the computer, neither system will
> allow you to reach full potential.

Now "mucking around" in the factory computer would be cool wouldn't it!!! 8-)
I've had some conversations with a dealership shop service manager and after
convincing him that I knew what I was talking about - he took me on a tour of
their shop. After discussing this at length with him - he explained that he and
most of his mechanics would LOVE to "muck around" with their factory computers.
He showed me the machine that they use to burn a new program into the computers
whenever they suspect a problem w/a corrupted PCM. It was a big black machine
with a pretty outdated computer. It had the capability to dial up CC to receive
any updates of ROM images (I call them ROM images - he called them something else
I cant remember). He said it was a big $60,000 slow piece of crap that his
dealership (privately owned) was forced to buy to keep the shop in business. He
said that they only had the ability to burn an entire image straight from CC - a
stock, unmodified program. He said that there was no way to modify the program (I
disagree here 8-). Anyway, he further stated that even if he/they could modify
the program, that it would cost them mucho buckos if they were to ever get caught
because of the current emissions laws. The fact that the PCM is part of the
emissions system made it untouchable. Thats why the perf computers carry a CARB EO
# he said. He said he would just as soon start cutting off cats and boosting the
injector pumps on the diesels (he liked that one even better!). I told him that I
could send mine off to a person on the east coast or another on the west coast and
have them do it. He smiled and said he had a buddy that would do cats too - and
another that sold drugs - they are all in the same boat he said "if you know what
I mean".

> For what its worth, all of the aftermarket EFI systems I have looked
> at use speed density. I won't pretend to know why that is, but I
> suspect its because speed density is more simple than the MAF setup.
> The limitation in speed density is due to not being able to change
> the parameters in the computer, but with the aftermarket setups,
> that is no longer an issue. MAF should respond better to mods
> within a certain range, but go outside of that range, and you're
> in the same boat as the speed density folks; you need to mess with
> the computer. There's another version of EFI also; I can't think
> of the name for it at the moment though. Its basically speed density,
> but without the MAP sensor. Its mainly used on wild engines which
> can't maintain enough vacuum at idle for proper MAP readings.

Would that be Alpha-N systems? Basically just read the TPS (and maybe temp) and
fire away!

> -Jon-
>
> .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
> | Jon Steiger * AOPA, DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA * RP-SEL |
> | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
> `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'

Latr,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam w/lots of mods (mine)
'96 IndyRam w/lots of options (wifes) - also a numbered (#142) "Track Truck"