Re: Speed Density to MAF

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 23:16:47 EST

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Shane Moseley wrote:
> Jon Steiger wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 ABeerCan@aol.com wrote:
> > > Ok, since the Dakota's run a speed density system, wouldn't I be correct in
> > > saying that all the head work, intake work, and other work helps, but cannot
> > > reach its full potential? I know that they have done this to the mid 80's
> > > mustangs (the 5.slows), so is there a conversion kit that would allow one to
> > > convert the Dakota from speed density to MAF? Speed density relies on a
> > > preset factory value based on air temp, tps reading, etc... MAF actually
> > > measures the amount of air entering the intake. So theorectically, I think,
> > > wouldn't all the intake/exhuast mods perform better if the Dak-a-do were
> > > converted to a MAF system? Just something I thought I would bounce off the
> > > abstract wall.
> >
> > While its true that doing mods with a speed density system won't
> > allow you to reach the engine's full potential,
>
> I'm not so sure about this - read my next post and I'll explain. BTW, this is
> what I was alluding to earlier...

   Ok, I'll wait for your next post. :-) Just to clarify though, I meant
doing mods without the ability to change the computer's parameters. Both
systems will allow a certain level of mods, but sooner or later, you
go beyond the limits of the stock computer to adapt.

> > the same can be said of
> > a MAF system. The "problem" in both systems is the computer. Without
> > the ability to directly muck about in the computer, neither system will
> > allow you to reach full potential.
>
> Now "mucking around" in the factory computer would be cool wouldn't it!!! 8-)
[...]

  :-) Nope. Even though there are places that can do it for you, I'd
rather do it myself... That's why aftermarket EFI systems are so
attractive to me. Rather than fight with the computer, you work *with*
the computer. No more guesswork; just a nice open system in which to work.
The result is certainly a power increase, but I wouldn't be surprised at
all to learn that another result is cleaner emissions.

> > For what its worth, all of the aftermarket EFI systems I have looked
> > at use speed density. I won't pretend to know why that is, but I
> > suspect its because speed density is more simple than the MAF setup.
> > The limitation in speed density is due to not being able to change
> > the parameters in the computer, but with the aftermarket setups,
> > that is no longer an issue. MAF should respond better to mods
> > within a certain range, but go outside of that range, and you're
> > in the same boat as the speed density folks; you need to mess with
> > the computer. There's another version of EFI also; I can't think
> > of the name for it at the moment though. Its basically speed density,
> > but without the MAP sensor. Its mainly used on wild engines which
> > can't maintain enough vacuum at idle for proper MAP readings.
>
> Would that be Alpha-N systems? Basically just read the TPS (and maybe temp) and
> fire away!

  Yep, that's the one! Thanks!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'