Re: RE: LSD in light snow

From: Dester223@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 23:35:06 EST

True, a LSD differential is good, but the one offered "stock" isn't so great.
 I had my dakota in a situation where I was on lil incline (probably 3 degree
incline) and the driver side wheel was on a little ice patch and the
passenger wheel on was dry pavement, and only the driver side wheel (one with
ice) spun.

I know I paid 285 dollars for the "anti-slip differential-LSD) and I'm pretty
sure I have one. I don't know if it works too well, or if there are any
tests I can perform to see if they work (someone PLEASE tell me a nice
burn-out)

Anyways. enough of my senseless typing.
-Dester

PS. a DMLer pointed out that the housing of an open differential and a LSD is
different, so you need to buy different aftermarket differentials. I don't
know if it's true, but that 285 dollar option you just saved could be a new
locking differential for ya.

<< the new Dak in the snow, came straight up the hill, no problems at all.
Didn't
 even have to engage the 4WD. I was amazed at the difference the LSD made in
 light snow, say up to 4". And of course, it's nice to have the 4WD to fall
back
 on in case I run into something the LSD can't handle