Re: Drivetrain Loss

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@vitelcom.net)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 14:11:46 EST

Think of driveline losses as a leak in a pipe. The higher the pressure
in the pipe, the more leaks out.
More specifically, driveline losses are mostly a result of friction.
Simply spinning everything up to a specified RPM will consume a fixed
amount of power. After that, as you feed more power(increased load)
through the system, it will absorb a certain percentage of the power
transmitted. While the coefficient of friction remains basically the
same, the force applied goes up, thus increasing the overall loss to
friction.
Friction is like most things in that the more you push, the more it
resists.
Dr. Pat