LSD in light snow

From: Ryan Rodgers (rodgers_ryan@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 14:54:00 EST

Sorry if this has been covered before, but being new to the list I would
like some input before I purchase my Dak in the Spring. I live in Northern
Ohio, where we ocassionally get 2-3" of snow on the average roadway in the
winter. The S-10 I will be replacing does not have a LSD differential, and
for the most part I do ok in the snow. The right tire spins a lot,
especially on wet pavement, but I've never gotten it completely stuck. I
know that getting the LSD on the Dak would help with traction, but how will
it make the truck handle in the snow? I'm confident in my abilities to
control a vehicle when the back end gets loose and would like to know how
the LSD would affect my performance in light snow. Also, the Dak I will be
getting will have the 4.7L 2wd with 3.92 rear end. I assume that the LSD
would help it hook up a little better in good weather, but I'm curious as to
the effects of an LSD on wet pavement, snow, and ice. One other point to
consider is that hopefully in the next year I will be moving to Texas. Yes,
I realize that makes me a GDYankee, but my wife was born and raised for the
1st half of her life in Dallas and she wants to go home. :) Me, I just want
out of the snow. Many things I've read say that getting the LSD is the way
to go, but I've run across the occasional opinion that it makes driving in
the snow more difficult. Any thoughts, feel free to email me directly as
well. Thanks.