Re: 00 Dak recall work, halo and other stuff (long)

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 08:00:58 EST

Rob, here is the key text from the letter I received:

    "The problem is...

            Ignition system electrical interference may prevent th Powertrain
Control Module on your Dakota from conducting diagnostic tests and identifying
trouble codes. This could make if more difficult to diagnose future problems or
to pass Inspection and Maintenance (/M) testing.

        What DC dealer will do...

                ...your dealer will reprogram your truck's PCM...."

My radion stations were still programmed in so I don't think the battery was
disconnected in order to reset the computer but I have to believe that
reprogramming the PCM would imply some kind of reset of the computer. I'm
assuming that PCM and 'the computer' are one and the same but now that I think of
it maybe that's not true. Whatever. I'm going to check the codes this morning
(so happy after picking it up yesterday I forgot!) and I'm going to do the OBDII
diag cycle today or tomorrow and see what codes pop up then.

If serious codes pop up I am definitely going to look into getting anything that
may have been damaged through inattention (because of hidden codes) replaced
under warranty.