RE: CB noise

From: Greig, Doug (douggr@hazelett.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 08:53:07 EST

  Unfortunately what you're experiencing is a very common problem with CB's.
Some are worse than others, depending on the brand of course. There are
several things you can do to help get rid of some of the noise, but not all
of it.

1) When you connected the ground, did you connect with any other
electrical devices' ground? Try to isolate it from other devices. I know all
of the electronics in a vehicle share the same ground(chassis), but
connecting (like butt-splicing) into an existing ground wire can cause
unnecessary feedback into the CB. That's why you don't get any interference
when the motor is off.
2) Use "shielded" cable to supply power and common (ground). When the
motor is running, the ignition system, etc. creates an electrical field that
is picked up by your CB as interference. The shielding on the cable gives
this unwanted field a place to go. It doesn't work 100%, but I noticed a big
difference after I installed my radio with it.
3) Forget those filter (probably from Radio Shack?????) I've never seen
one work yet. They sound like a good idea and look good on paper, but rarely
do the job they were intended for.

  Good Luck, let me know how if you're able to solve it.

  Doug Greig
  98 CC 4X4 V6 Sport
  South Burlington Vermont
  DKGreig@MSN.com <mailto:DKGreig@MSN.com>