Newbie Dakota user with a question.

From: Stockham, John C (stockham@mail.ukans.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 09:40:08 EST

Just purchased a 98 Dakota Sport 2wd reg cab from a local dealer. Love the
truck except for one thing. It starts right up if it's off for 8 or so
hours or more as well as right after it shuts off. Any time between 45
minutes or so after shut off to 8 hours after shut off, the starter will
crank for 6 or 8 seconds or so, the engine will start to turn over and then
reluctantly start. Is this normal? The dealer flashed the computer already
and I still get the same result. Now, I haven't gone through one tank of
gas yet....but it looks like I'm on par to barely hit 16mpg. I've done a
little in-town driving but I've done my usual 35mile commute from Overland
Park, KS to Lawrence, KS. The tank is at 1/4 and my current odo reading is
aroun 174. I was expecting to end up somewhere around 260 or so when the
low fuel light comes on. I seriously doubt I'll get 90 more miles on what's
left in the tank. So, any ideas to take to the dealer, guys? Could it be a
injector stuck open/leaking? I love the truck and don't really want to send
it back because of this. BTW, does a bed cover really help gas mileage?

John Stockham, Certified Novell Administrator
LAN Support Services, KU Computing Services
stockham@ukans.edu

Web page: http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~stick or
          http://www.ukans.edu/home/stockham