Re: Re: R/T or 360 exhaust question

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 16:17:54 EST

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Aaron wrote:

> NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
>
> Awe man, here comes a new thread.
>
> I was at the track not too long ago and a dude came up to my friend with the
> R/T and asked him why "It ran 14.8s stock and now 15.3s with the M1".
>
> The M1 KILLS TORQUE! these trucks are heavy and need all the torque they
> can get. Long intake runners are one of the main torque makers. -why Dodge
> has high-torque/low horse motors.
>
> Not worth it to lose that much torque and gain MINIMAL ponies. Keep the
> stock and PORT IT!
>
> Just ask the guy with the 12.90 R/T, I'm sure he has no idea what he is
> talking about. (sarcasm)
> TORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUE
> is an R/Ts friend.
> TORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUETORQUE

   Not nescessarily. It all depends on what you're trying to do. You
can't just focus on one component and say "good" or "bad". You have to
look at the vehicle as an entire system and tune each part in concert,
all working together to achieve your final goals.

   I suppose it is very well possible that installing the M1/MPI on a
bone stock engine could kill torque, but when I installed the MPI on
my little 318, I picked up at least 3 tenths. Wether it gained or lost
me HP or torque, I don't know; all I know is that when I installed it,
my ETs dropped, and right around 3,000 rpms, my truck pulls like a
freight train. :-) However, I also have a computer, intake and
exhaust work, etc. Also, if you're planning on running a wet nitrous
system, the MPI is the only way to go...

                                              -Jon-

  .--- jon@dakota-truck.net -- or -- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ------------.
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `---------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'