RE: DML:supra ALMOST spanked me

From: Craig Baltzer (Craig.Baltzer@anjura.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 23:33:30 EST

The 1988-1992 versions were a bit of "luxo-cruisers". Nice, plush, more of a
GT than a sports car. Weighed in at about 3600-3800lbs depending on options.
200HP (normally aspirated), or 230 (turbocharged). Ran high 14s low 15s
stock, with a 0-60 time in the 7-8s. Typically Toyota in the engineering
department (very overengineered), so it was a piece of cake to get 300hp out
of the turbo with some simple electronics (boost controller).

Now the 1993.5-1998 was a different beast. Normally aspirated around 200hp,
and not really that quick. The twin-turbo model, 320hp, was quite quick, mid
13s in the 1/4, and 0-60 in the 5 second range. Most impressive thing on
them was the brakes, which felt like you threw out an anchor when you nailed
them. The twin turbo could go up to 425hp with just electronics, and a
couple of "built but streetable" ones were in the 550-600hp range (about
$15K to get you there). All from a 3.0l straight 6...

The older generation unmodified should be keepupable with the Dak. The newer
twin turbos, well, you'll get to say "damn that is a butt ugly wing on the
back" as it pulls away :-)

Craig