Re: Attn: Current Nitrous Dakotas

From: TommFern@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 11:15:42 EST

 It's hard to say Alan. I switched over to the 360, but I think I had aprox.
10,000 lies on it of N2O brutality :) I run slicks and spray off the line,
so I've done my share of abuse. I think I've got about 50 N2O passes with a
150 shot on the stock 318.
     N2O is safe. It's just very unforgiving if YOU screw up. Most guys with
backfires either hit it at to a low rpm or aren't used to how fast it drives
the rpms up and hit the rev limiter. Detonation is the other concern. it is
far more detonation friendly than my vortech ever was. Nevertheless, I always
recommend either splashing a few gallons of the good stuff in the tank
and/or investing in a good retard system; esp if you run the MP comp.
    Operating at to low an rpm can be problematic because of low velocity
and puddling and also the tremendous strain it puts on parts. A lot of guys
forget this. N2O flow is linear(for the most part) and at low piston
speeds(rpm) your allowing a longer time for the cylinders to fill up with
more N2O. This really raises the cylinder pressure and sresses parts. That's
why N2O feels so awesome at a low rpm. It's also why you don't need nearly as
much stall to get good 60 fts. I remember the first time I sprayed off the
line at the track. I nearly crapped my pants while pulling the left front of
the line. A motor, in general, can take a lot more N2O at a higher rpm than
at a low one.
Tom