RE: Speed? Multi-directional Thrust Vectoring Nozzle

From: Steve St.Laurent (saint1958@home.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 15:07:18 EST

Let correct myself before I close this thread: it is referred to as a
multi-directional thrust vectoring nozzle (I just refer it as Vector
Exhaust). The first NASA/Air Force/Pratt & Whitney, mounted one of the
engines of a F-15 (1996), using a F100-PW-229 engine. The first prototype
testing on a single engine is a F-16D-PW229 engine (the Air Force VISTA
program). It was shown on the Discovery Channel under the banner of Extreme
Flying Machines, since this was not a classified program.

For NASA's flight research, each nozzle is mounted to one of the F-15
Active's two F100-PW-229 engines, which have modified fan duct cases to
provide the additional strength required to withstand the vectoring forces.
Installation of the nozzles also required modifications to the aircraft's
rear fuselage and main engine mounts.

F-22 integration: The F119 engine nozzle for the F-22 is the world's first
full production vectoring nozzle, fully integrated into the aircraft/engine
combination as original equipment. The two-dimensional nozzle vectors thrust
20 degrees up and down for improved aircraft agility. This vectoring
increases the roll rate of the aircraft by 50 percent and has features that
contribute to the aircraft stealth requirements. Heat-resistant components
give the nozzles the durability needed to vector thrust, even in afterburner
conditions. With precision digital controls, the nozzles work like another
aircraft flight control surface. Thrust vectoring is an integrated part of
the F-22's flight control system, which allows for seamless integration of
all components working in response to pilot commands. The nozzle is
manufactured at Pratt & Whitney's West Palm Beach facility, home to the
company's military engine design and prototype construction.

Yes! You are right. They did some modification to the airframes.

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/F-15ACTIVE/HTML/EC96-43485-3.html
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/F-15ACTIVE/HTML/EC96-43456-5.html

Dryden Research Facility

Steve St.Laurent
2000 DC Dakota 4.7, CC, 4x2, 3:55 (soon 330HP)
2000 Roush Mustang Stage I (awaiting the new SC)