RE: Speed?

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 02:31:06 EST

> Hey! I totally agree. The Wart Hog could take direct hits
> and still fly. I portioned a few Marines to take the planes but they
insisted
> that the Cobras do the job. Boy! Some people just don't get it.

What do you expect from Jarines......

> The Air Force has two F-16 that has the Vector Exhaust. But, I was
> surprised someone does has knowledge of this. It was a
> Russian concept back in the 60-70's era and AF finally tried it. It is
weird to
> see it fly in reverse and then sideways. Then we have a F-22 which will
> have not only the Vector Exhaust but stealth technology.

Yeah but the Harrier flew in the late 50's. In the early 70's they did make
a version of the Harrier that was supersonic. The Soviet's didn't care about
V/STOL in the heat of the Cold War. They where concerned about the coming
B-1 Bomber and we were concerned about their MIG-25's. The Nazi's in WWII
had on the drawing boards the concept of a V/STOL fighter. Most likely the
Soviets got the plans after they captured alot of the Nazi factories. But
the Brits were the first with a functional V/STOL jet. The F-22 uses a form
of vectored thrust but cannot go VTOL.

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd
Rahway NJ