Diff Fluid Change Complete

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 16:51:09 EST

Well after working on both diffs for3 hours, I am done. I have to say it
took more time than expected, but I really didnt care; I just wanted to make
sure I did a clean and thorough job. I ended up using 3 cans of brake
cleaner, alittle more than I thought I would, but I had an extra can just
incase. The brake cleaner works very ncie to get the diff cover nice and
clean and even washes down the diff internals(gears, etc) really good. The
front diff cover bolts came off very easily, thanks in part to PB Blaster!!
The rears were tight still after having soaked them for 3 days. I had to use
a cheater bar/pipe over the ratchet, but they all came loose with no bolts
breaking. I was worried some might break after being on for 118,000 miles. I
cleaned all the old RTV off the diff covers, which was where 99% of the old
RTV was stuck to. I used a couple of scrapers and even some Gunk Gasket
Remover. Put everything back on and filled both diffs up with Amsoil Series
2000 75W90. I am going to see if my gas mileage really does change any,
which it is 'supposed' to with the new Series 2000 'formula'. Thanks to all
who gave me advice on this.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6