Re: Who makes the best speakers/amps?

From: Ohm347@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 21:54:04 EST

In a message dated 02/20/2000 6:02:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Sethmh@earthlink.net writes:

<< Once I get my dakota Ill be upgrading the stereo system but Im not sure who
 the top makers of speakers/subs and amps are. Currently I have sony speakers
 and a sony amp in my van that Ive been really happy with but Im sure there
 is better stuff available and I figure If Im gonna make a good system I
 better do it right. What do you guys recommend?

how much do you want to spend? are you looking for brutal clarity or gut
wrenching volume? do you just want something that sounds nice? how good is
your hearing?
are you an audiophile?
welcome to the wonderful world of car stereo. if you are really picky about
your music and can appreciate the difference between crap speakers and really
well built equipment what you are about to get into could cost you alot of
money. however if you can go into a stereo store with a cd and plunk it into
ten stereos and here no difference between them then your inluck, you can
install anything you want and it won't matter.
go to a car stereo shop with your favourite cd and start listening to
different head end units, different subs, different amps till you find the
ones that sound best to you. anyone who tells you such and such amp/sub/deck
is the best is wrong.
jl audio, rockford fosgate and ads all review quite well for musical subs.
earthquake magma series are incredibly loud as are juggernauts(i'm digging
from memory here so don't bite my head off). ppi amps reviewed well for
clarity(they have three levels of gear). usamps are supposedly
unbelievable(never heard one). eclipse and infinity component sets sound
quite nice(infinities coloured the sound slightly).
personally i will never buy pioneer, kenwood, sony, panasonic or clarion
again.
one of my roomates is an audiophile and after listening to some $10000
speakers powered buy $10000 amps fed from a $5000 cd player i have a greater
appreciation for the difference between good priced gear and good gear.
go out and listen. if you don't find something you like in two weeks start
buying magazines and researching. talk to installers and other customers in
the shops. bad salespeople will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a
sale so be careful. good salespeople will be able to tell you so much about
the product your head will want to pop.
good luck
derek