RE: Speed?

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 23:07:59 EST

At 11:47 AM 2/20/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>It is a classified and soon to be moth balled as the X- space plane comes
>on-line. Hyper-sonic planes were eating rolling shockwaves in California on
>a Thursday morning, once a week, a few years ago.
>
>=================================
>Steve St.Laurent

Just catching up here. I contacted an ex of mine who is an engineer at
GASL, She is working on the Hyper X Vehicle, which is the X-43. The
engines are currently being tested at Mach 10. Still too early to tell the
max output of the engine. They are also building the fueling system on
that plane as well. Plane has not flown yet, just in a test tunnel.

As for the F-16 than can fly backwards and sideways, unless they have
changed the engine from a ramjet, it's not possible. A ramjet engine
relies on the intake of air at speed. Not if they switched to turbofan,
then it is possible with design changes to the plane.

Mike

mschwall@flash.net