Alarm install complete

From: Mike Schwall (mschwall@flash.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 00:41:10 EST

Thanks to the few that replied with color codes for the wires I was having
trouble looking for.

I ended up using the #1 injector trigger wire for the tach signal. Alarm
learned the signal with no trouble. To refresh, I installed a Viper 550
ESP alarm with remote start. I bought the alarm, and installed it myself,
saving $250. The wiring at first looks complicated, but after sitting down
with the manual, wiring, and pen and paper, it only took an hour or so to
map everything out. Took another hour in the truck probing wires to find
the ones I needed, then another half-hour writing down what wire connected
to what wire.

Everything went smooth. Only trouble I had was the tach wire, that was he
last to go in. My $10 box of split-loom tubing off of ebay was great for
this, made everything nice and neat.

This is not a task for just anyone. If you have an electronics background
and know the proper technique for splicing and soldering, it should pose
little trouble.

That remote start is going to come in handy on cold mornings. It works
good. Hit the remote buttons, ignition is turned on, gauges come to life,
fuel pump primes, then cranks. Real nice. One problem I do have is I
thing the Dakota has two ignition wires. I tapped into the blue wire in
the steering column harness. It works, but when I use the remote start,
the ABS and airbag lights stay on, so apparently there is another ignition
wire. The alarm is capable of handling two ignition wires, so I just have
to go probing for the second and hook it up. Anyone have a clue what the
other ignition wire is? I know one is Blue.

I still have to adjust the shock sensor. I didn't have time to do testing
- was getting late and didn't want to upset the neighbors.

Just to compare costs, the alarm sells at Circuit City here in town for
$399 installed. I paid $155 for the alarm, 50 cents in solder, $8 on a 40W
soldering iron, about 50 cents on liquid rosin flux, $1.50 for a package of
30 wire ties (used every one of them), $1.50 for a package of vinyl
grommets, and $10 for 15 feet each of four different sized split-loom
tubing from ebay. For a total savings of $222. And I was able to
customize the install - run the wires where I wanted to, etc.

Not bad if I do say so myself :)

Mike

mschwall@flash.net