Dak Newbie here again.....Part two of the ongoing saga.

From: Stockham, John C (stockham@mail.ukans.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 12:11:46 EST

Okay. Just to get everyone up to speed. I purchased a 98 Sport Reg cab
Dakota with the 3.9L six, man trans, 3.31 axle (I think) on Feb 14th, 2K.
The truck had 47K miles and Sunflower Dodge(in Kansas) had replaced the
following: Tires, fan belt, plugs, air filter, oil change, and catalyic
converter. During my two test drives, everything appeared fine. I dropped
the truck off to have it detailed by the dealer and went to arrage payment
for the truck.

Like a moron, I was talked out of have the truck inspected by a 3rd party.
When I received the truck two hours later, the starter would crank and the
truck would reluctantly start 8 seconds later. Also from a cold start, the
two turns of the switch works to start the truck. Now if I had a 8 year old
truck, I'd write it up to being a character flaw I could live with. Since
it's a two year old truck that I've just purchased, I'm gonna have the
dealer fix it. Also when "warm", the engine starts right up.

First time I took it in for service, they flashed the computer. The second
time, they replaced the "A.I.S. motor"(which regulates the air/fuel mix, I'm
told.) and the "fuel module"(which is the fuel pump? I have no idea.) The
truck's problem still persists. I'm wondering if they actually replaced
anything. Where are those parts at on the truck? Also, I guess it's been
idling rough as well. So, I currently have the truck at goodyear for an
engine dianostic check so I have a paper trail. Early word from the
mechanic says the fuel pressure is an issue as well as the rough idle. So,
I'm picking the truck up tonight and going back to the dealer with a 'tude.
;) I'm thinking about returning the truck and getting a new 2000 Dak Sport
just like this one.

Have you noticed that when you do a search for the Dakota and the Ranger out
on the web, there's nothing but Ford Ranger fan clubs out there, but when
you search for the Dakota, there's all these "My Dakota is a Lemon!" pages.
Kinda makes me wonder.

So, opinions on my situtation? I'd love some input. Also, how does one
reply to messages on the mailing list? I haven't figured that one out yet.
Email me personally if you could with instructions.

John Stockham, Certified Novell Administrator
LAN Support Services, KU Computing Services
stockham@ukans.edu

Web page: http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~stick or
          http://www.ukans.edu/home/stockham