Non-Dak, '94 Olds Acheiva Groaning

From: Chris Lambert (clam9892@postoffice.uri.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 02:34:41 EST

My fiance's car (a 94 olds acheiva with 4cyl 5sp) has a terrible groaning
noise coming from the front end under both braking and compression braking.
 I am doing an oil change and checking her brakes pads this weekend, is
there anything else I should grease/check for play. Yes I am aware that
this is a junk car (read I hate GM's), but it was the only thing that was
reasonably new that would fall within her monthly payment price range at
the time. The car now has 70,000 mi on it. Also when turning a corner
from a start it makes a slightly audibloe and irregular (not all the time)
power steering noise. Another thing that has me concerned is that there is
a LOUD noise, kindof like a grinding noise coming from her A/C Compressor,
i think it is the a/c compressor not the alternator as it goes away if
either the a/c is turned on or the heater is set to defrost mode. Can the
A/C compressor suddenly seize and subsequently break the belt and therefore
overheat? I am basically looking for any and all suggestions so just fore
them on over privately, I know that this is probably a basic case of change
the brake pads and greas the frontend but I want any and all comments no
matter hos simple, I have been lucky enough to never have to preform ant
front end work on a front driver so I am not that familliar with the
symptoms or the fixes. Oh and to top it all the subframe of this car (the
members bolted to the unibody for the front suspension etc.) is rotting so
bad it is flaking, has been for 2 years... this car is only a 94 tell me
this isn't right... hell my 88 dakota has no rot on the frame or body...

OK I am stepping off my soapbox,
Asking for your help fellow mechanical guru's,

Chris