Re: Drag-talk

From: Sean Bruckman (bruckman@urisp.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 15:13:39 EST

Interesting question, and i'll let someone who knows a little more about 4WD
explain the specifics of why it wouldn't work, but i'd like to share what i
think the physics of this situation work out to be.

I've heard many a guy's 4x4 squeal all four tires, but i've never seen
anyone smoke them from a standstill and i'll tell you why...because it's the
same reason it's just not gonna help at the track.

Let's say it takes a couple hundred horse to make some meaty tires grab on
and squeal. Then let's say a 4x4 splits the power evenly between all four
wheels like a nice all-wheel drive setup. Like you estimate, with the same
engine the 4x4's tires will definitely not spin and probably won't squeal.
True, this is good. Unfortunately, even in a perfect drivetrain, physics
determine that most of the energy of the front wheels won't be going to push
the truck, it will be going to keeping up with the back wheels. When you
double the amount of drive wheels, the amount of power you need to rip up
those tires increases exponentially, not just additively. This is not even
counting in the imperfections of a given 4WD system and the increased
drivetrain loss, as well as the fact that most systems don't come close to
splitting the power evenly or even advantageously.

This also explains why an AWD Porsche like the sweet 'Carrera 4' i saw at
the auto show last sat. can burn up great 0-60 times and take corners like a
thing-that-can-take-corners-really-fast... but also why we don't see people
drag racing AWD cars professionally all that often.

The point is, if you can make enough power to warrent the loss of power,
then you are better off with bigger, badder, RWD tires.

The counterpoint is, if you have a 4x4 i wouldn't be surprised if you
couldn't at least get better 60' times with 4-low or something.

Sean Bruckman (rambles again)