Exhaust Manifold/Bolt Removal

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 01:01:58 EST

Since the diff. fluid change saga is done, the Bilstein shock decision
episode is done.....it is now time for a new chapter. I will be going on
spring break(my last spring break!!!! sigh.....) in 3 weeks or so and would
really like to get one main thing done on my Dak: replacing the one broken
manifold bolt on the driver's side of the engine. It doesn't hiss as if it
is leaking, doesn't really annoy me, but I would just like to know all the
exhaust manifold bolts are there; all of them at that. I attempted to
extract the broken bolt last year, but did it kind of half-assed. I would
also like to have all the bolts in good 'working condition' incase I decide
to put some JBA headers on in the future. This time, I would like to take
the driver's side manifold off, so I have complete access and view of the
broken bolt.
Question 1: I remember last time I attempted to remove the manifold I
managed to remove the manifold bolts and nuts just fine; the ones connecting
it to the exhaust port area(s). The area I was completely stumped at was
where the manifold connects with two bolts at the 'y-pipe'. There appeared
to be some type of retainers/clips/flanges which would not allow me to gain
full access to either the head of the bolt or the nut of the other side; it
was one of them just cannot recall at this time. Does anyone know what I am
talking about here? If so, how do I go about removing the two bolts which
connect the manifold to the y-pipe????
Question 2: I know about trying to use vise grips to turn the bolt back out,
but it is broken off flush with the port area. Optimally, would it be best
to have the engine/manifold area warm or cold to help aid in the bolt
removal? If it would be better to be warm, would a propane torch help out??
Question 3: I assume it would be a wise idea to put rags into the exhaust
port holes so that nothing falls down in there, right??? I am going to try
to take the manifold off first, preferably at night. The following day I
will soak it with the well proven PB Blaster all day, and then try those
bolt extractors. I haven't even had too much luck with those extractors
other than extracting a broken bolt out of my muzzleloader. Thanks for any
and all input on this new chapter.....
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6