Re: Spark Knock

From: jimm (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 00:09:00 EST

I will admit many auto dealers of any brand dont do their job very well. I just
hate to see someone call their Dak a lemon because of a problem like this. I
believe a better soulution to the knock problem is a little richer mixture under
heavy throttle insted of retarding the timing to cure the knock. In the
carburated days you could retard the timing or increase the jet size to cure the
knock problem. Sometimes retarding the spark advance alone wouldnt even fix the
problem. Also realize that dealers who are competent can only do what the factory
authorizes without danger of being fined by the EPA for changing a part that does
not comply with the rules. I remember that Ford was fined a million or so a few
years ago for just changing sparkplugs to a non complying number. I just dont
want anybody to think that DC makes the only veichles that have problems. I have
had lots less problems with Dodge trucks than any other brand I have used. When
the Chevy and Fords that my shop bought over the last coupld of years wear out we
are going to replace all of them with Dodges even thaogh they are not perfect
either.
Jim in Waco, 99 R/T RC FR. Licensed driver since 1962. Worked in auto repair
garages since 1970. BEEN THERE and DONE THAT! I love my MOPAR!!!!!Dont think I
ever want to own anything else again!