RE: Exhaust upgrade: stainless vs. aluminized Gibson vs. Borla, Opinions wanted

From: Neal Arita (neal@heide-cook.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 13:38:10 EST

Curt,

Any Catback will help flow a lot better. I do believe stock is
stainless.
I have the Gibson single catback .
pros: I like the sound of the Gibson (quieter than others).
                 Designed for low end torque.

cons: The stainless pipes rusts. The factory rep says that the
type of stainless used will rust a little. (I think Type 416 ?)
The Gibson muffler, however, is type T-304 - no rust
(Borla, on the other hand is T-304 all the way).
Gibson Warranty - read the fine print...not too good.

Opinion: if you live in a corrosive environment (like Hawaii) and are
looking for longevity, go for stainless. I don't regret getting Gibson,
except that I was not comfortable seeing rust on stainless.
As for Torque on Bottom end - go for Gibson;
Mid to Top end - go for Borla.
My $ .02 - hope this helps....

Neal Arita - from Hawaii
'97 CC, 5.2L, Auto