Re: shocks advice apperciated

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 13:42:32 EST

> I have 85k miles on my 97. (3.75 years, 85k!) and I have yet
> to replace the shocks. Something I should have done twice
> already.
>
> So, Kyle, I do mostly on road, with occasional off-road and
> snow driving. It's a 4x4 with 31" Bridgestone Dueler's. What
> do you suggest for a shock? And, can I get them at a poop boyz
> or autozone?

Travis,
First off let me say yes, you are correct; those stock shocks should be put
to rest. At 85,000 miles with those 31's, I bet you Dak is in bad need of
some new shocks. You can get Bilstein shocks at Autzone, they just have to
order them and they take 2-3 days to get in. I would suggest anytype of
aftermarket shock, just because 'any' shock will be better than the stock
shocks ability to control your truck and those 31's. I would suggest going
with what you can afford. Bilsteins, ProComp(Go with the ES9000s over the
ES3000), Warn also makes are great shock. Either way, make sure the shocks
you ger come with polyurethane bushings, not rubber bushings. The rubber
bushing will wear out extremely fast. Here is the diff between the ProComp
shocks:
ProComp ES3000: 10 Stage Valving, 1 3/8" Diameter Piston, 5/8" Chrome
Piston Rod, Twin Tube Cellular Gas, Dust Boots Are Not Included *ProComp
ES9000: 10 Stage Valving, 1 3/8" Diameter Piston, 5/8" Chrome Piston Rod,
Twin Tube Nitrogen Gas, Expanded Fluid Reservoir, Dust Boots Are Not
Included
Most 4WD catalogs/online stores carry all of the above shocks, call around
and see who has what and at what price you want to pay. Good Luck.
Even give Summit a try, I know they atleast will carry ProComp:
http://www.summitracing.com/index.htm
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6